Friday, December 28, 2007

Call me Adam

If you are cooking a meal of any amount of importance and you don't enlist the advice of one BG, you are fooling yourself that your meal has turned out to be as good as it can be. Even with his over reliance on the braise, he knows his way around the kitchen. (Insert joke here: I am sure that he will make some lucky guy a fine wife someday.) The final of my Christmas celebrations kicks off tonight when my parents arrive in town.

This evening I will be preparing two pumpkin pies. Yes I whip my own cream. The key to my pumpkin pie? Penzeys cinnamon. No, I don't use the 2/3 recommendation. This Vietnamese cinnamon is so good you could eat it with a spoon.

I will also be preparing a corn casserole, green bean casserole, baked sweet potatoes and of course fresh rolls. I'd like to do pop-overs or Yorkshire pudding but my oven space is very limited and tradition in my family requires the corn and greenbeans. Once I remodel and get my double wall ovens and warming trays installed......

The main course is of course the Standing Rib Roast, aka, Prime Rib. BG pointed me to this recipe last year when I was contemplating making a beef tenderloin. I have tinkered with the recipe and offer my modifications below. You can use the link above to compare mine to the original. I have cooked 3 roasts this way and will warn you that the original recipe can lead to an over done roast. 140 degrees is way to done and you really need a thermometer with a probe to monitor your exact cooking results.

Chilly's Modified Easy Prime Rib, sourced from here

1. Get a prime rib roast at your supermarket.
It's usually labeled bone-in ribeye roast. I get "Standing Rib Roast"
2. Mix 1 part onion salt, 1 part seasoned salt, 1 part sea salt or kosher salt and 2 parts garlic powder to make 1/2 cup total.
3. Pat the salt mixture liberally on the entire roast.
The salt may not stick as well on the fat side. Don't worry about it, just dump it on. Also remove the roast from the refrigerator 1-2 hours before you cook it. This lets the meat come to room temp.
4. Pre-heat oven as high as it will go. Usually 500 degrees but not broil.
5. Stick the roast in a dutch oven bone side down (fat side up). Get a remote probe electric meat thermometer (with alarm) and stick it in the middle of the roast.
6. Cook the roast in the oven for 5 minutes per pound and then shut the oven off.

7. Monitor the temperature. Set your alarm to alert you when the roast reaches 120 degrees might take as long a two hours, monitor for a steady increase in temp. If you are struggling to make it to 120 degrees, turn the oven on at 375 degrees until it hits 120 degrees.
Once at 120 Remove the dutch oven from the oven, remove the lid and cover roast with foil.
The temperature should continue to climb. You are shooting for 130-135 degrees. I like mine a bit bloody, closer to 130. If you see that your temp is still climbing rapidly after you hit 130 degrees, remove roast to a serving platter.
8. This procedure will yield a PERFECT MEDIUM RARE PRIME RIB.

For the Au jus, get a container of beef stock, or make your own ahead of time (just buy a box of Emeril's, its in the soup aisle). Pour the liquid off the dutch oven (reserve for Yorkshire pudding). Put the dutch oven on your stove and add the beef stock. Stir to release the brown bits and salt from the oven. Heat to a slow boil, simmer for 5 minutes and put it in a serving vessel ( I use a creamer rather than a gravy boat).

I also make my own horseradish as well. I don't remember it exactly but its basically a cup of sour cream, 1/4 cup prepared horseradish 1/8 cup of lemon juice...might be something else, but I can't think of it. Add additional horseradish to taste. Prepare 24 hours in advance so that the flavors blend nicely.

2 comments:

BG said...

I wouldn't braise so much if it weren't for the fact that I'm constantly seduced by the fatty bone-in cuts of meat offered at low, low prices at my local supermarket. Why pay $12 a pound for lamb chops when I can get shanks for $7 a pound?

Thanks for the props though. Happy cooking.

StB said...

Thanks, just what I needed, another day of reading about tasty pieces of meat being cooked.